Prevent your Leather Gloves and Jacket from Fungus during Monsoon
First thing first, Never think of using your leather gloves and jackets on a raining day. The leather is very costly and can be long lasting provided proper precautions are taken. It is no harm using them during rains, but there are certain precautions that will make them in use for the next rides. If not cared, the gloves and jacket tend to be in contact with fungus.
(Note: The brand of the product has no role to play in growth of fungus)
Preventing your Leather Gloves and Jackets during Monsoon:
The quality of leather should be good and shall be from some reputed brand. It should totally be value for your money and also comfortable at the same time.
- Dry out water:
In case your Leather Gloves are exposed to water in any uncontrollable circumstances, Gently clear the dirt on the product and allow it to dry under normal room temperature. Never use a blow dryer to remove the moisture of the product, instead use newspaper or a towel.
Dry place is a preferable area to store leather. Wet and moisture places should be avoided as they tend to increase the growth of fungus.
Prevent your leather gloves and jackets when they are exposed to rains:
- Never heat or blow dry the wet leather. This may make the leather stiff and they will eventually crack.
- No artificial fixing or stitching shall be done once the leather is spoiled.
- Never rub the surface which is damp, it will spoil the product.
- If the gloves and jacket are in dirty condition, never soak them in soapy water to clean them.
Below are the preventive measures to prevent leather gloves and jackets to be moldy:
- Wrap the wet leather in a newspaper or a dry towel and keep some weight on it to remove water. Keep this for a day or two.
- After water is removed, the leather still will be damp. Start applying mink oil as this will soak in and will gradually displace the water.
- Keep the oil soaked gloves and jackets in a warm and open area. Never keep it in a hot place as this will harden the gloves and they eventually crack.
As no one can have control over nature, always keep spare gloves and jacket when it rains. Use your leather wisely as they are expensive and can be ruined easily if not cared.
Do let us know your thought in the comment section below.